Features - Spam Elimination
If you browse Usenet newsgroups much, you are no doubt aware that there
are a great number of "spam" advertisements posted to many newsgroups.
News Rover can help you filter out spam by using these methods:
- You can eliminate messages that are cross-posted to more than some
number of newsgroups you specify. Typically, spam advertisements are posted
with a long list of target newsgroups. By specifying a cutoff of, say, 10
newsgroups, you can eliminate these messages.
- Once your see a message you will never receive another copy of it.
News Rover maintains a database with the ID strings for all messages you
have received. If a duplicate copy of a message arrives, it is discarded.
- You can use an Exclude expression to eliminate
messages that contain certain words or phrases.
For example, you might
want to eliminate messages containing "Make money fast" or "Amazing
opportunity". You can also exclude all messages posted by a certain
Alternatively, you can use an Include expression
to accept only messages with words of intrest to you.
- News Rover maintains a list of the names of files that it has
received. If another file with the same name is encountered, it is
rejected because it is a duplicate. So once you see a spam picture
attachment, you won't see it again.
- If you encounter objectionable messages posted by the same person
you can add the address of that person to the
blocked sender list.
This will prevent you from receiving any more
messages from that person.