Features - Interest Groups
An "Interest Group" specifies what kind of messages you want News Rover
to find for you. There are quite a few things that you can specify
for an Interest group, here are a few:
- The list of newsgroups to be searched. You can specify a single
newsgroup or as many as you wish.
- An Include expression. If you provide an
Include expression, only messages that match the expression are saved.
- An Exclude expression. If you provide an
Exclude expression, a message that matches it is specifically
excluded. You can use this to help avoid receiving messages posted by
- Control over whether you only want to receive messages that
have attached files (useful for binary picture newsgroup collecting).
- The minimum and maximum acceptable sizes of attached files.
(A minimum size allows you to reject tiny or low quality pictures that are not worth
- The type of attached files you wish to collect. You can choose to
receive all file types, or you can specify a set of file types such
as JPG, GIF, MPG, WAV, etc.
You can define any number of interest groups. For example, you might
define one interest group that collects any message that has an attached
file, and set up the interest group to search a number of binary
picture newsgroups. You might set up a second interest group to search
through genealogy newsgroups looking for your family name. You might set up
a third interest group to search through comp.forsale newsgroups looking
for some computer accessory that you want to buy.
News Rover does it all!